SHORTS awards the best short films in FICTION, DOCUMENTARY, and ANIMATION worldwide, motivating overseas and Macau productions to compete in this FESTIVAL in Macau.
The short films could be submitted through the following online platforms:
Click here to download the SHORTS submission form for submitting through email to email@example.com.
- MACAU INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM FESTIVAL (“FESTIVAL”) is an annual worldwide audio-visual festival which aims to motivate overseas and Macau short film and music video productions to compete in this FESTIVAL.
- SHORTS awards the best short films in the categories of FICTION, DOCUMENTARY and ANIMATION.
- IMPORTANT DATES AND VENUE
- The submission opens from 16th March to 16th June 2021. Unless the FESTIVAL announces an extension, no submission will be accepted after this date.
- All films in the OFFICIAL SELECTION will be included in the public screening sessions from 2nd to 9th December 2021. The venue will be announced later.
- SUBMISSION TERMS
- SHORTS is open to anyone of any nationality and age.
- Submitted short films must be completed between 1st January 2020 and 16th June 2021. Films selected in previous editions of the FESTIVAL not be admitted.
- No submission fees.
- The FESTIVAL accepts only ONE film by the same director(s) in the categories of FICTION, DOCUMENTARY and ANIMATION.
- The maximum duration of each film, including intro and end credits, is 30 minutes for FICTION and DOCUMENTARY, and 15 minutes for ANIMATION.
- English embedded captions/subtitles for non-English spoken films is required.
- The minimum quality should be:
- Video File: QuickTime or mp4
- Resolution: 1280 x 720
- Frame Rate: 24, 25 or 30fps
- Codecs: H.264 with AAC
- All submissions must be sent to the FESTIVAL either:
- By using online submission platforms listed on the FESTIVAL’s website.
- By email to firstname.lastname@example.org in combination with a web-based file transfer platform (e.g. ©Dropbox, ©WeTransfer) or file hosting service (e.g. ©Vimeo).
- By post to CREATIVE MACAU – P.O. BOX 759, MACAU. Parcels must arrive in the mailbox by 16th June 2021.
- The following items must be submitted and composed in ENGLISH with each submission:
- for online platforms:
Complete the fields in the platform, minimum information includes
2) Film title
4) Synopsis [max 40 words]
6) Director’s Biography [max 40 words]
7) Video file [720p or above, please refer to 3.7]
- for submission by email or post:
1) SHORTS SUBMISSION FORM – properly filled in capital letters and signed, downloadable on the FESTIVAL website.
2) Synopsis [max 40 words]
4) Director’s Biography [max 40 words]
5) Video file [720p or above, please refer to 3.7]
- for online platforms:
- Failure to comply or provide any of the required materials will result in disqualification.
- All third-party audio or visual material, legally owned or copyrighted, must be cited clearly during the on-screen credits sequence of the submitted film. Submitters have to attach a proof of authorization from the third party upon request.
- By submitting a film to the FESTIVAL, submitters imply the acceptance of this Regulation.
- OFFICIAL SELECTION
- The FESTIVAL will notify ONLY the contact of the temporarily selected films in August 2021.
- Directors/Producers/Representatives of the temporarily selected films must submit an ENGLISH subtitle file (or a dialogue list with accurate timestamp), even the films are in English, and a clean HQ version, within a designated period after being notified. Failing to submit the requested materials by the designated deadline will be automatically excluded from the OFFICIAL SELECTION.
- By submitting the requested materials, Directors/ Producers/Representatives agree that the temporarily selected films be included in the FESTIVAL’s OFFICIAL SELECTION.
- Submitted version will be the final version for the public screening.
- JURY AND AWARDS
- The INTERNATIONAL JURY PANELS are composed of directors, producers and other professionals in the film industry. They will select the potential best films for OFFICIAL SELECTION in FICTION, DOCUMENTARY and ANIMATION based on their background in the corresponding categories of the FESTIVAL.
- The panels will also select the potential student films for the Best Student Film award in the above categories.
- The FICTION Jury Panel will indicate the best films for the PRESTIGIOUS AWARDS mentioned in 5.8.
- The GRAND JURY PANEL is composed of international experts to judge and decide among the short films in OFFICIAL SELECTION on the winner of each of the following awards:
- Best Fiction – MOP10,000
- Best Documentary – MOP10,000
- Best Animation – MOP10,000
- Best Film of the FESTIVAL – MOP20,000
- Best Local Entry – MOP10,000
- Macau Cultural Identity – MOP10,000
- During the public screenings at the FESTIVAL, the audience will VOTE for the winner of:
- Audience Choice – MOP4,000
- Winner of the Best Local Entry MUST hold a valid Macau Resident ID Card (BIR) or Non-Resident Worker’s ID Card (Blue Card).
- If there is no winner for Best Local Entry, the sponsor will revert the prize value towards audio-visual training organized by CREATIVE MACAU – Center for Creative Industries for the local participant of the FESTIVAL.
- Another Jury Panel composed of international experts will decide on the winner of the following PRESTIGIOUS AWARDS in FICTION:
- Best Director
- Best Cinematography
- Best Editing
- Best Music
- Best Sound Design
- Best Visual Effects
- There will be no appeal to the decision made by the FESTIVAL.
- The GRAND JURY PANEL and the FESTIVAL can also recognize any film with a special award.
- All winners will receive a TROPHY and a CERTIFICATE.
- Films in the OFFICIAL SELECTION will be presented to the mass media and be edited in the promotional videos (up to a maximum of 10% of the total duration of the work), exclusively for the promotion of the FESTIVAL.
- After the FESTIVAL, the films in OFFICIAL SELECTION may be screened in the FESTIVAL’s extensions in Macau and overseas film festivals, with prior consent of the directors/producers/representatives.
- GENERAL TERMS
- Only original films are admitted to the FESTIVAL.
- The FESTIVAL will not pay any screening rights fees for public exhibition of all films.
- Submitted films not in the OFFICIAL SELECTION might be included, with prior consent of the directors/producers/ representatives of the film, in the EXPANDED CINEMA session of the FESTIVAL.
- The medium (USBs, DVDs, etc.) submitted will not be returned.
- Considering all legal issues, directors/producers/ representatives of the submitted films assume full responsibility. The FESTIVAL will decline any sort of responsibility regarding authorship issues.
- The FESTIVAL reserves the right to consider and decide on any substance not included in this Regulation.
- Winners receiving cash prizes requesting an overseas transfer and/or a payment in a foreign currency (other than MOP) are fully responsible for ANY taxes or fees applied during the transfer.
- In case of doubt or discrepancy, the Portuguese version of this Regulation shall prevail.